Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state.
You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need.
Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it?
Reset your Windows 8.1 PC
- Open PC Settings.
- Click on Update and recovery.
- Click on Recovery.
- Under “Remove everything and reinstall Windows 10,” click the Get started button.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Fully clean the drive option to erase everything on your device and start fresh with a copy of Windows 8.1.
How do I do a factory reset on my computer?
To reset your PC
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
- Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
- Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
How do I delete everything on my computer?
Press the Windows key plus the “C” key to open the Charms menu. Select the Search option and type reinstall in the Search text field (do not press Enter). On the left side of the screen, select Remove everything and reinstall Windows. On the “Reset your PC” screen, click Next.
How do I do a factory reset with Windows 10?
Reset or reinstall Windows 10
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
- Restart your PC to get to the sign-in screen, then press and hold down the Shift key while you select the Power icon > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it Windows 10?
Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state. You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need. Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do I delete all personal information from my computer?
Return to the Control Panel and then click “Add or Remove User Accounts.” Click your user account, and then click “Delete the account.” Click “Delete files,” and then click “Delete Account.” This is an irreversible process and your personal files and information are erased.
How do I do a factory reset?
Factory reset Android in Recovery Mode
- Turn your phone off.
- Hold the Volume down button, and while doing so, also hold the Power button until the phone turns on.
- You’ll see the word Start, then you should press Volume down until Recovery mode is highlighted.
- Now press the Power button to start recovery mode.
How do I do a system reset on Windows 10?
How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select “Update & security”
- Click Recovery in the left pane.
- Click Get started under Reset this PC.
- Click either “Keep my files” or “Remove everything,” depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact.
How do you master reset a laptop?
Laptop hard reset
- Close all windows and turn the laptop off.
- Once the laptop is off, disconnect the AC adapter (power) and remove the battery.
- After removing the battery and disconnecting the power cord, leave the computer off for 30 seconds and while off, press and hold the power button in 5-10 second intervals.
How do I wipe the harddrive on my computer?
5 steps to wipe a computer hard drive
- Step 1: Back up your hard-drive data.
- Step 2: Don’t just delete files from your computer.
- Step 3: Use a program to wipe your drive.
- Step 4: Physically wipe your hard drive.
- Step 5: Do a fresh installation of the operating system.
How do I wipe my hard drive for reuse?
How to Wipe a Hard Drive for Reuse
- Right-click “My Computer” and click “Manage” to launch the Computer Management applet.
- Click “Disk Management” on the left pane.
- Select a “Primary Partition” or an “Extended Partition” from the menu.
- Assign a desired drive letter from the choices available.
- Assign an optional volume label to the hard drive.
How can I clean up my computer?
Method 1 Cleaning up the Disk on Windows
- Open Start. .
- Type in disk cleanup .
- Click Disk Cleanup.
- Click Clean up system files.
- Check every box on the page.
- Click OK.
- Click Delete Files when prompted.
- Uninstall unnecessary programs.
How long does a factory reset take Windows 10?
The Just Remove My Files option will take somewhere in the neighborhood of two hours, while the Fully Clean The Drive option can take as long as four hours. Of course, your mileage may vary.
What does Reset Windows 10 do?
Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files. Select Reset this PC to reinstall Windows 10. This will remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.
How do I factory reset my Windows 10 tablet?
How to complete a Factory Reset on Windows 10 devices
- From the Sign In screen, hit the power button located on the lower right corner.
- Hold the Shift Key located on the left side of your keyboard.
- Keep you finger on the the Shift Key while holding down the Shift Key, select Restart.
- Wait for the device to restart a new screen will pop up on startup.
- Select Reset your PC.
How do I wipe an external hard drive Windows 10?
Completely Wipe Hard Drive in Windows 10 with EaseUS Partition Master for Free
- Step 1: Install and launch EaseUS Partition Master. Select the HDD or SSD which you want to wipe.
- Step 2: Set the number of times to wipe data. You can set to 10 at most.
- Step 3: Check the message.
- Step 4: Click “Apply” to apply the changes.
How do I factory reset my laptop Windows 10 without password?
How to Factory Reset Windows 10 Laptop without Password
- Go to Start menu, click on “Settings”, select “Update & Security”.
- Click on “Recovery” tab, and then click on “Get start” button under Reset this PC.
- Select “Keep my files” or “Remove everything”.
- Click on “Next” to reset this PC.
How do I clean my computer Windows 10?
Deleting system files
- Open File Explorer.
- On “This PC,” right-click the drive running out of space and select Properties.
- Click the Disk Cleanup button.
- Click the Cleanup system files button.
- Select the files you want to delete to free up space, including:
- Click the OK button.
- Click the Delete Files button.
Does factory reset delete everything laptop?
Simply restoring the operating system to factory settings does not delete all data and neither does formatting the hard drive before reinstalling the OS. To really wipe a drive clean, users will need to run secure-erase software. Linux users can try the Shred command, which overwrites files in a similar fashion.
Does reformatting a computer erase everything?
Formatting the hard drive is a bit more secure than simply erasing the files. Formatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. However a computer specialist would be able to recover most or all the data that was on the disk before the reformat.
Does factory reset remove all data?
After encrypting your phone data, you can safely Factory reset your phone. However, it should be noted that all data will be deleted so if you would like to save any data make a backup of it first. To Factory Reset your phone go to: Settings and tap on Backup and reset under the heading “PERSONAL”.
What does a hard reset do?
A hard reset, also known as a factory reset or master reset, is the restoration of a device to the state it was in when it left the factory. All settings, applications and data added by the user are removed.
Is hard reset and factory reset the same?
A factory reset relates to the rebooting of the entire system, while hard resets relates to the resetting of any hardware in the system. Factory Reset: Factory resets are generally done to remove the data entirely from a device, the device is to be started again and requires the need of re installation of the software.
How do I master reset my HP laptop?
The first step is to turn your HP laptop on. You can also restart it if it is already on. Once it begins the booting process, keep clicking the F11 key until the computer boots to Recovery Manager. That is the software you will use to reset your laptop.
How can I permanently delete my data from hard drive?
Whenever you want to securely erase your data, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the files or folders that you want to securely erase.
- Right-click on the files and/or folders and an Eraser menu will appear.
- Highlight and click Erase in the Eraser menu.
- Click Start > Run , type cmd and press OK or Enter (Return).
How do you physically destroy a hard drive?
When disposing of an old PC, there is really only one way to securely erase the information on the hard drive: You must destroy the magnetic platter inside. Use a T7 screwdriver to remove as many screws as you can access. You’ll probably be able to remove the main circuit board from the enclosure.
What happens if you wipe a hard drive?
A hard drive wipe refers to a secure deletion procedure that leaves no traces of the data that used to be stored on the wiped hard drive. This is usually performed using specialized software programs designed for this purpose. This is because when a file is deleted, it is not really entirely removed from the hard disk.
Photo in the article by “Max Pixel”