How do I make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 free?
How to Make Windows 8 or 8.1 Look and Feel Like Windows 7
- Download and install Start8.
- Select Windows 7 Style and Shadow Theme under the Style tab.
- Select the Desktop tab.
- Check “Disable all Windows 8 hot corners.”
- Make sure “Automatically go to the Desktop when I sign in” is checked.
- Make sure Disable Taskbar Translucency is unchecked.
- Select the Control tab.
Can I get Windows 8 for free?
Windows 8.1 has been released. If you’re using Windows 8, upgrading to Windows 8.1 is both easy and free. If you’re using another operating system (Windows 7, Windows XP, OS X), you can either buy a boxed version ($120 for normal, $200 for Windows 8.1 Pro), or opt for one of the free methods listed below.
How do I get the Start menu on Windows 8?
From the screen that appears, navigate to Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and select it. That will place a Start Menu toolbar on the far right of the taskbar. If you want to move the Start Menu toolbar to the right, right-click the taskbar, uncheck “Lock the Taskbar” and drag to the right.
Is Windows 8 still available?
When Windows 8.1 was released in October 2013, Microsoft made it clear to Windows 8 customers that they had two years to upgrade. Microsoft said then it would no longer support the old version of the operating system by 2016. Windows 8 customers can still use their computers.
What is start8 for Windows 8?
For those who miss the Start menu in Windows 8, there are a number of alternatives. Stardock’s aptly named Start8 not only replicates Windows 7-style functionality, but offers a lot more customization to boot. Find out why Start8 is our favorite Start menu-replacement app.
What’s the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8?
Windows 8 looks quite different from Windows 7. This is because it is designed to also work with touchscreen computers and tablets. The main differences: When you log in to Windows 8, the first screen you see is the new ‘Start Screen’, also known as ‘Metro’.
Is Windows 10 better than Windows 8?
Microsoft tried to sell Windows 8 as an operating system for every device, but it did so by forcing the same interface across tablets and PCs—two very different device types. Windows 10 tweaks the formula, letting a PC be a PC and a tablet be a tablet, and it’s vastly better for it.
How can I get Windows 8 free?
- Try out Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 for free, by using this trial version.
- Go to windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview.
- Download an ISO file from that page.
- Insert a recordable CD or DVD into your disc burner.
- Click “Start” and then click “Computer.”
- Find the ISO file and double click it.
How can I upgrade to Windows 8 for free?
Get the free update
- Go to the Start screen, and select the Store tile.
- On the Update Windows tile in the Store, select the Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 update and then select Download.
- The update will download and install in the background while you use your PC to do other things.
How do I change the Start menu in Windows 8?
To make changes to your Classic Shell Start menu:
- Open the Start menu by pressing Win or clicking the Start button.
- Click Programs, choose Classic Shell, and then select Start Menu Settings.
- Click the Start Menu Style tab and make your desired changes.
How do you change the Start screen on Windows 8?
To change your Start screen background:
- Hover the mouse in the lower-right corner to open the Charms bar, and then select the Settings charm. Selecting the Settings charm.
- Click Personalize. Clicking Personalize.
- Select the desired background image and color scheme. Changing the Start screen background.
How do I add the Start button to my taskbar in Windows 8?
From the desktop, right-click the taskbar, point to Toolbars and select “New toolbar.” Click the “Select Folder” button and you’ll get a Programs menu on your taskbar. Right-click the taskbar and uncheck “Lock the taskbar” if you want to move the new Programs menu around.
Is Windows 8 discontinued?
Microsoft has ended mainstream support for Windows 8.1, more than five years after its debut. The operating system, which was offered as a free upgrade to Windows 8 users, has moved to the extended support phase, in which it will continue to receive updates, albeit in a more limited fashion.
Was there a Windows 8?
Windows 8 (also sometimes referred to as Windows 8 (Core) to distinguish from the OS itself) is the basic edition of Windows for the IA-32 and x64 architectures. Windows RT is only available pre-installed on ARM-based devices such as tablet PCs.
Is Windows 8 still supported?
“Windows 8.1 falls under the same lifecycle policy as Windows 8, and will reach end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023. Microsoft no longer supports ‘Windows 8.1’.
What is start8?
Start8 is a program developed by Stardock.
Is Windows 7 better than Windows 8?
The result is a faster system which consumes fewer resources than Windows 7, making it a good choice for low-end PCs. The new OS redesign uses simple colors and fewer visual effects, drawing fewer resources than Windows 7’s Aero Glass effect. Windows 8.1 performs better than 7 in everyday use and benchmarks.
Is Windows 8 faster than 7?
Windows 8 has a faster boot time than Windows 7 and it also performs slightly better in benchmarks. Although, from a gaming perspective, they are about the same. As seen in the graphs below, Windows 8 performs much faster on specific tasks, such as copy time, file compression and boot or shutdown speed.
What is difference between Windows 7 Windows 8 and Windows 10?
Major Difference while comparing windows 10 vs 7 is the user interface. Window 10 is the Best window OS that can synchronize with all the devices. This device includes PC, laptops, tablet, phones etc while windows 7 is confined to support only pc and desktops.
Can I upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 for free?
If you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 directly, you’ll need to re-install all apps and programs, just like Windows 8.1 Pro Preview users found out. If you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 for a cost, then upgrade for free to Windows 8.1, you’ll get to keep everything.
How do I install Windows 8.1 without a product key?
Skip Product Key Input in Windows 8.1 Setup
- If you are going to install Windows 8.1 using a USB drive, transfer the installation files to the USB and then proceed to step 2.
- Browse to the /sources folder.
- Look for the ei.cfg file and open it in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ (preferred).
Can Windows 8 be upgraded to Windows 10?
While you can no longer use the “Get Windows 10” tool to upgrade from within Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, it is still possible to download Windows 10 installation media from Microsoft and then provide a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 key when you install it. If it is, Windows 10 will be installed and activated on your PC.
How do I change the Start screen on Windows 8?
Use the following steps to change the Start Screen background in Windows 8.1.
- Press the Windows ( ) key + C, or swipe in from the right edge of the screen to open your Charms, then select Settings.
- Tap or click Personalize.
- Select a background image, color and accent color.
How do I get to the Start menu?
Start menu. The Microsoft Windows Start menu is the primary location in Windows to locate your installed programs and find any files or folders. By default, the Start menu is accessed by clicking Start, located in the bottom-left corner of the Windows desktop screen.
Where is the Startup folder in Windows 8?
Open Windows 8 Startup Folder. To begin, use Windows + R hotkey combination, and enter %AppData%. It will open Roaming profile folder, letting you view installed applications’ folders and navigate through Windows system folders. You will find the Startup folder in \Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.
Is Windows 8 a good operating system?
Released in 2012, Windows 8.1 is the most current version of the Windows operating system. As such, it’s easy to fall into the “newer is better” mindset. Windows 8 entered the market with a sleeker look and entirely new design. However, it was developed with tablets and touchscreens as the priority.
Which Windows is the best for gaming?
Best Windows Operating Systems For Gaming:
- Windows 7 – has always been very stable for gaming, whether you’re using Home, Pro or Ultimate.
- Windows XP – RIP.
- Vista – Come on, you’re joking right?
- Windows 8.1 – The bastard child.
- Windows 10 – As good as Windows 7 except it has DX12.
Which window is faster?
Results are a bit mixed. Synthetic benchmarks like Cinebench R15 and Futuremark PCMark 7 show Windows 10 consistently faster than Windows 8.1, which was faster than Windows 7. In other tests, such as booting, Windows 8.1 was the fastest–booting two seconds faster than Windows 10.