Here’s what you need to do to delete a certain file or folder with Command Prompt:
- Go to Search and type cmd. Open Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt, enter del and location of folder or file you want to delete, and press Enter (for example del c:usersJohnDoeDesktoptext.txt).
How do I force delete a folder?
Tap on the Windows-key, type cmd.exe and select the result to load the command prompt.
- Navigate to the folder that you want to delete (with all its files and subfolders).
- The command DEL /F/Q/S *.* > NUL deletes all files in that folder structure, and omits the output which improves the process further.
How do I force delete a file in Windows 10?
TO DO: Press Windows logo key + X, and hit C to open the command prompt. In the command window, type the “cd folder path” command and press Enter. Then type del/f filename to force delete the file that is in use.
How do I delete a corrupted folder?
Method 2: Delete corrupted files in Safe Mode
- Reboot computer and F8 before booting to Windows.
- Select Safe Mode from the list of options on screen, then enter safe mode.
- Browse and locate the files you want to delete. Select these file and press Delete button.
- Open Recycle Bin and delete them from Recycle Bin.
Can I delete Programdata folder Windows 10?
You’ll find the folder underneath your new Windows folder for Windows 10. If you don’t want to revert to your old operating system, though, it’s just wasted space, and lots of it. So you can delete it without causing problems on your system. Instead, you’ll have to use Windows 10’s Disk Cleanup tool.
How do I force delete a folder in PowerShell?
Use PowerShell to Delete a Single File or Folder
- Open a PowerShell prompt by switching to the Start screen and typing PowerShell.
- In the PowerShell console, type Remove-Item –path c:\testfolder –recurse and press Enter, replacing c:\testfolder with the full path to the folder you want to delete.
How do I delete undeletable files in Windows 10?
You may accidentally delete some important files.
- Press ‘Windows+S’ and type cmd.
- Right-click on ‘Command Prompt’ and select ‘Run as administrator’.
- To delete a single file, type: del /F /Q /A C:\Users\Downloads\BitRaserForFile.exe.
- If you want to delete a directory (folder), use RMDIR or RD command.
How do I force delete?
To do this, start by opening the Start menu (Windows key), typing run , and hitting Enter. In the dialogue that appears, type cmd and hit Enter again. With the command prompt open, enter del /f filename , where filename is the name of the file or files (you can specify multiple files using commas) you want to delete.
How do I force delete a locked file in Windows?
How to Delete a Locked File in Windows 10
- Locate the folder you wish to delete.
- Download Process Explorer from Microsoft’s website, and press OK on the pop-up window.
- Double click processexp64 to extract the file.
- Choose Extract All.
- Click Open.
- Double click the procexp64 application to open the application.
- Select Run.
How do you delete a file which Cannot be deleted?
1.Right click on Windows button and select “Command Prompt (Admin).” 2.Then locate the folder in which you have the file or folder which you want to delete. 5.After that, you will see a list of files in the folder and search for your folder or file which you can’t delete.
How do I delete corrupted or unreadable files?
How to Delete a Corrupted or Unreadable File
- Reboot the computer to ensure the corrupted file is not in use by a running application.
- Right click on the Windows “Start” button and select the “Explore” option to launch the “Windows Explorer” interface.
- Right click on the corrupted file and select the “Properties” option to launch the file’s “Properties” interface.
How do I delete corrupt files on Windows 10?
Fix – Corrupted system files Windows 10
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, enter sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- The repair process will now start. Don’t close Command Prompt or interrupt the repair process.
How do I fix a corrupted folder in Windows 10?
Solution 1 – Use chkdsk tool
- Open Command Prompt as administrator. To do that, press Windows Key + X on your keyboard to open Win + X menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, enter chkdsk /f X: and press Enter.
- Wait while chkdsk scans your hard drive partition.
Is it safe to delete empty folders in Windows 10?
If you have a lot of empty folders and want to delete them all at one time, here is an easy way. Folders with files will not be checked. Now click Delete and click OK if you want to delete empty folders. They go to your recycle bin after deleting them.
What folders can I delete from Windows 10?
Deleting system files
- Open File Explorer.
- On “This PC,” right-click the drive running out of space and select Properties.
- Click the Disk Cleanup button.
- Click the Cleanup system files button.
- Select the files you want to delete to free up space, including:
- Click the OK button.
- Click the Delete Files button.
What files can I delete Windows 10?
If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:
- In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
- Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
- Select OK.
How do I delete files in a folder?
Delete Files or Folders
- Right-click (or click the ellipses ()) on a file/folder and select Trash. Alternatively, you can click next to the file/folder name to select it, then click the Trash button in the upper-right.
- The item will be moved to your Trash folder.
How do I delete a folder using command prompt?
To delete a folder and all it’s contents from the command prompt:
- Open an Elevated Command Prompt. Windows 7. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
- Type in the following command. RD /S /Q “The Full Path of Folder” Where the full path of the folder is the one which you want to delete.
How do I uninstall PowerShell?
How to uninstall Windows PowerShell 1.0
- Click Start, type appwiz.cpl in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- In the list of tasks, click View Installed Updates.
- In the Uninstall an update list, right-click Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0 (KB928439), and then click Uninstall.
How do I delete an Undeletable folder?
Deleting an Undeletable Folder
- Step 1: Open the Windows Command Prompt. In order to delete the folder we need to use the Command Prompt.
- Step 2: Folder Location. The Command Prompt needs to know where the folder is so Right Click on it then go to the bottom and select properties.
- Step 3: Find the Folder.
How do I permanently delete a folder in Windows 10?
Go to the Desktop on your Windows 10 OS. In the Properties, select the drive for which you want to delete the files permanently. Now, under Settings for selected location, click the radio button for Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted.
Can’t delete file open in another program?
Fix – “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”
- Open Task Manager and navigate to the Details tab.
- Locate explorer.exe on the list, select it and click on End Task button.
- Now go to File > Run new task.
- Enter explorer and press Enter or click OK.
How do I delete a file that says access denied?
How to Delete a File or Folder Showing Error “Access Is Denied”
- Locate the file stored on your hard drive.
- Once the file is located, right-click on it and choose properties and remove(uncheck) all the attributes of the file or folder.
- Make a note of the file location.
- Open a Command Prompt Window.
- Leave the Command Prompt window open, but proceed to close all other open programs.
How do I delete a locked file?
Deleting or Changing a Locked File. To delete a locked file, the process is pretty simple. If you want to delete one locked file, move it to the trash, and when you click “Empty Trash” or press “Shift + Command (Apple) + delete,” make sure you hold down the Option key.
How do I remove icons from my desktop that won’t delete?
To delete the shortcut, first click “Cancel” to close the Properties window, and then right-click the icon and select “Delete.” Click “Yes” to confirm the deletion. Open File Explorer if the icon represents an actual folder and you want to remove the icon from the desktop without deleting it.
How do I fix a corrupted folder?
Top 2 Ways to Fix “The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable”
- Launch CMD on your Windows PC via the Start Menu. Run it as administrator.
- Type chkdsk /f x: in the Command Prompt window and press Enter to execute the command. X here is the drive letter of the corrupted partition that you want to check.
How do I find corrupt files on Windows 10?
Using System File Checker in Windows 10
- In the search box on the taskbar, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
- Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each “/”).
- Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between “sfc” and “/”).
How do I fix corrupted files?
Repair a corrupted workbook
- Click File > Open.
- Click the location and folder that contains the corrupted workbook.
- In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook.
- Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
- To recover as much of the workbook data as possible, pick Repair.
What Windows 10 files can I delete to save space?
Free up drive space in Windows 10
- Select the Start button, and then select Settings > System > Storage .
- Under Storage sense, select Free up space now.
- Windows will take a few moments to determine what files and apps are taking up the most space on your PC.
- Select all the items you want to delete, and then select Remove files.
Can I delete AppData folder Windows 10?
You can safely remove anything in the folder, but you may not be able to delete items that are in use. Likely safe locations to delete files and folders from: C:\Windows > Temp. C:\Users > username > AppData > Local > Temp.
Can I delete the Windows old folder without Disk Cleanup?
Step 1: Click in Windows’ search field, type Cleanup, then click Disk Cleanup. Step 2: Click the “Clean up system files” button. Step 3: Wait a bit while Windows scans for files, then scroll down the list until you see “Previous Windows installation(s).”
Photo in the article by “President of Russia”