Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state.
You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need.
Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do I do a factory reset with Windows 10?
Reset or reinstall Windows 10
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
- Restart your PC to get to the sign-in screen, then press and hold down the Shift key while you select the Power icon > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen.
How do I wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall Windows?
- Press the Windows key plus the “C” key to open the Charms menu.
- Select the Search option and type reinstall in the Search text field (do not press Enter).
- Select the Settings option.
- On the left side of the screen, select Remove everything and reinstall Windows.
- On the “Reset your PC” screen, click Next.
How do I format Windows?
How to Format a Computer
- Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.
- Restart your computer.
- Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.
How do I completely format my laptop?
Solution 4. Format Laptop Without Windows Installation USB/CD
- Start your computer, then press F8 or F11 before Windows loads.
- Click “Next” to enter System Recovery. There are two options for choose.
- The utility will complete the formatting and restart your laptop. Just wait patiently until the last.
How do I restore my computer to its factory settings?
To reset your PC
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
- Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
- Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
How do I wipe and reinstall Windows 10?
Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state. You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need. Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do you do clean install of Windows 10?
To start fresh with a clean copy of Windows 10, use these steps:
- Start your device with the USB bootable media.
- On “Windows Setup,” click Next to begin the process.
- Click the Install Now button.
- If you’re installing Windows 10 for the first time or upgrading an old version, you must enter a genuine product key.
How do I wipe my operating system off my computer?
Steps to delete Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP from system drive
- Insert the Windows installation CD into your disk drive and restart your computer;
- Hit any key on your keyboard when asked if you want to boot to the CD;
- Press “Enter” at the welcome screen and then hit the “F8” key to accept the Windows license agreement.
Does installing Windows wipe hard drive?
That doesn’t absolutely affect your data, it only applies to system files, as the new (Windows) version is installed ON TOP OF THE PREVIOUS ONE. Fresh install means you totally format the hard drive and reinstall your operating system from scratch. Installing windows 10 will not remove your previous data as well as OS.
How do I reformat my PC Windows 10?
How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select “Update & security”
- Click Recovery in the left pane.
- Click Get started under Reset this PC.
- Click either “Keep my files” or “Remove everything,” depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact.
How do you format a hard drive in Windows 10?
Windows 10: Format a drive in Windows disk management
- Type Control Panel in the search box.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Administrative Tools.
- Click Computer Management.
- Click Disk Management.
- Right click on the drive or partition to format and click on Format.
- Select the file system and set the cluster size.
- Click OK to format the drive.
Can I format C drive?
When you format C, you erase the operating system and other information on the C drive. Unfortunately, it’s very much not a straightforward process to format C. You can’t format the C drive like you can format another drive in Windows because you’re within Windows when you perform the format.
How can I format my laptop without losing Windows 10?
Reset this PC lets you restore Windows 10 to factory settings without losing files
- Open Settings.
- Click on Update & security.
- In the left pane, select Recovery.
- Now in the right pane, under Reset this PC, click on Get started.
- Follow the on-screen instructions carefully.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it?
Reset your Windows 8.1 PC
- Open PC Settings.
- Click on Update and recovery.
- Click on Recovery.
- Under “Remove everything and reinstall Windows 10,” click the Get started button.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Fully clean the drive option to erase everything on your device and start fresh with a copy of Windows 8.1.
How do I clean my laptop before returning it?
Go to the Settings menu, then Update & Security > Recovery > Reset This PC. Make sure you select the option to remove everything, including your personal files.
How do I do a restore point on Windows 10?
- Open System Restore. Search for system restore in the Windows 10 Search box and select Create a restore point from the list of results.
- Enable System Restore.
- Restore your PC.
- Open Advanced start-up.
- Start System Restore in Safe Mode.
- Open Reset this PC.
- Reset Windows 10, but save your files.
- Reset this PC from Safe Mode.
What does reset this PC do on Windows 10?
Resetting reinstalls Windows 10, but lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. You can reset your PC from Settings, the sign-in screen, or by using a recovery drive or installation media.
How do I do a factory reset?
Factory reset Android in Recovery Mode
- Turn your phone off.
- Hold the Volume down button, and while doing so, also hold the Power button until the phone turns on.
- You’ll see the word Start, then you should press Volume down until Recovery mode is highlighted.
- Now press the Power button to start recovery mode.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”