By default, Photoshop uses the hard drive on which the operating system is installed as the primary scratch disk. If you encounter a ‘Scratch disk full’ error, it often means that your hard drive (or drives) used as scratch disk is (are) running out of storage space required to perform a task.
How do I empty the scratch disk in Photoshop?
Clear Scratch Disk in Photoshop
- Open Photoshop on your Mac.
- Select “edit” from the menu bar.
- Select “Purge”
- Select “All”
- When the popup appears, choose “OK”
How do I empty my scratch disk?
How To Fix The “Scratch Disks Are Full” Error In Photoshop
- Free-Up Memory Space On Your Computer.
- Delete Photoshop Temporary Files.
- Change The Scratch Disk On Startup.
- Change The Scratch Disk Drive In Photoshop.
- Disable The Auto Recovery Feature In Photoshop.
- Let Photoshop Use More RAM.
- Delete The Photoshop Cache Files.
Why is my scratch disk full Photoshop?
If you’re getting an error message that the scratch disk is full, it usually means you need to clear some space on whatever drive is defined as the scratch disk in Photoshop Preferences, or add additional drives for Photoshop to use as scratch space.
How do I empty Photoshop scratch disk without opening Photoshop?
How to Clear aScratch Disk Without Opening Photoshop
- Attempt to open Photoshop.
- While the application is opening, press Ctrl+Alt (on Windows) or Cmd+Options (on Mac). …
- Add another drive to your scratch disk to add some space.
How do I free up disk space on Mac?
4. Change your scratch disk
- Click on the Photoshop menu.
- Go to Preferences and then Scratch Disk.
- Tick the checkbox to select or remove a drive as the scratch disk.
- Click OK.
- Restart Photoshop.
What does purge do in Photoshop?
You can improve system performance by freeing up unused memory and scratch disk space from Photoshop to make it available to other programs. To do so, choose one of these options: Edit > Purge > All. Edit > Purge > Undo.
Can’t open because scratch disks are full?
If Photoshop 2019, or earlier, cannot launch because the scratch disk is full, hold down the Cmd + Option keys (macOS) or Ctrl + Alt keys (Windows) during launch to set a new scratch disk.
How do I clear my Windows scratch disk?
How to clear Photoshop scratch disk on Windows?
- Step 1: Open Edit menu on Photoshop.
- Step 2: Select the preferences option from the drop-down on the screen.
- Step 3: In preferences, select the scratch disk option to open up the Scratch Disk menu.
How do I empty my scratch disk without opening Photoshop Mac?
- Open Photoshop, from the top menu, select Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling & Clipboard.
- Uncheck Automatically Save Recovery Data to disable this feature or change the data recovery time by selecting the dropdown.
- Click Ok to save your changes.